The International Conference on Open Source Systems, OSS aims at providing an international forum where a diverse community of professionals from academia, industry, and the public sector, and diverse FLOSS initiatives can come together to share research findings and practical experiences. The conference is also a forum to provide information and education to practitioners, identify directions for further research, and to be an ongoing platform for technology transfer, no matter which form of FLOSS is being pursued.
OSS will take place from May 26th to 27th 2018 at the Fairmont The Queen Elizabeth Hotel, in Montréal, Canada.
Papers and Reports: Call for PapersView track page for all details
Free/Libre Open Source Software (FLOSS) development has emerged as one of the most important phenomena of computer science and engineering. It has a major impact in the industry and has been instrumental for education and research in the academia, providing free access to essential tools, from compilers to word processors. FLOSS has changed the way people perceive the software business, and it has often kept the software market away from monopolies. As such, a deep understanding of FLOSS requires the understanding of a wide spectrum of issues.
The goal of OSS 2019 is be a holistic forum on FLOSS aimed across people from widely diverse backgrounds. OSS 2019 will be a forum to discuss theories, practices, experiences, and tools on development and applications of OSS systems, with specific focus on two aspects:
- The development of Free/Libre Open Source Systems and the underlying technical, social, and economics issue
- The adoption of FLOSS solutions and the implications of such adoption both in the public and in the private sector.
OSS 2019 will bring together people from industry and academia to share experiences and ideas and to provide an archival source for important papers on Free/Libre Open Source topics.
The conference is also meant to provide information and education to practitioners, identify directions for further research, and to be an ongoing platform for technology transfer.
The conference will include three kinds of submissions:
- Research papers (max 10 pages): Submissions describing research activities in the area of open source software with concrete insights;
- Engineering papers (max 5 pages): Submission describing the development of tools, libraries, etc. that are widely used in the community;
- Industry and Community experience reports (max 5 pages): Submissions reflecting on experiences about open source processes, techniques, tools, business models, best practices, etc.
The conference will stress practical applications and implications of Free/Libre Open Source Software (FLOSS) . Conference topics include, but are not limited to:
- Foundations and rationale of FLOSS
- FLOSS development communities
- Tools and infrastructures for FLOSS Development
- FLOSS and eGovernment
- FLOSS and Open Knowledge
- Knowledge management in FLOSS
- Business models and FLOSS
- Impact of FLOSS on social networks
- Documentation of FLOSS
- Cost and economic models of FLOSS
- FLOSS and Agile Methodologies
- FLOSS and DevOps
- FLOSS scalability issues
- FLOSS education and training
- Introduction of FLOSS in companies and Public Administrations
- Empirical analysis of FLOSS
- FLOSS case studies and experiments
- Licensing issues in FLOSS
- Legal issues in FLOSS
- Software engineering aspects, human factors, and other aspects of FLOSS
Submissions are invited for original papers (unpublished and not submitted elsewhere). Authors must clearly explain the contribution of the work in terms of its theoretical and/or practical value and relationship to previous work. Submissions must be in English following the Springer guidelines available at: https://goo.gl/r83B1W.
To allow for more complete and fully formatted reference lists, bibliographic references do not count towards the page limit.
Papers should submitted as PDF files at https://easychair.org/conferences/?conf=oss2019
Accepted papers and reports will be included in the conference proceedings, which are published by Springer, and will be made available as Open Access.